Are you ready for our 11th addition of Trivia Thursday? As usual there will be a list of trivia questions and a short story below which have the answers hidden with in it. Some answers obvious while others might be harder to figure out. The answers are posted in the comment section. Do you think you can solve them?
Please feel free to leave comment and let us know how you did.
Ready…. Set… Go….. Have Fun
- This Canadian hero was a World War I flying ace. His first name was William. How does Canadian know him as?
- Who was Canada’s first female magistrate or judge?
- Although best known as a singer, Bryan Adams has also had considerable success in what other field
- Alexander Graham Bell is generally, though controversially, credited with inventing the telephone in 1876. How did Bell come up with the idea of the telephone?
- Sudbury-born Alex Trebek is a well-known in the United States as the host of “Jeopardy!”. Before heading south of the border Trebek hosted which longtime Canadian high school quiz show?
- Which Canadian, born in Ontario in 1861, is generally regarded as the man who invented basketball?
- Bob Homme a Canadian actor known for saying “look up, look waaaaaay up”. Who is the character that he played?
- What is the fastest flying bird in the world
- Why is a giraffe’s tongue black or purple?
- What are a flock of Flamingos called?
Billy Bishop was a young goat who was in love with a Peregrine Falcon named Emily Murphy. It was an unrequited love as a goat should not love a bird. While he was daydreaming of her, a Cooper hawk flew overhead as the bleating of his brothers snapped him back to reality.
“Oh I wish Emily would notice me!”
His words floated up to the Hawk ears. He flew down and landed on a dead tree beside Billy.
“Who is this Emily and why do you love her so?” He asked
Billy was startled by his sudden presence. “Who are you?”
“Sorry for frightening you, my name is James, James Naismith. I just happen to hear your desire for Emily to love you and was a bit intrigued to know more.”
Billy now curious of this creature climbed up on a rock to reach for the top of the branch for a closer look. “Emily is like you a wonderful bird of prey but we are never meant to be as I am a goat and would be known as prey to many.” A sullen look took hold of his face.
Just as the two were discussing Billy’s predicament a man approached the field. James was nervous as any wild bird would but Billy reassured him that this man was not going to hurt him. He was the friendly giant who had a passion for photography.
When the man approached slowly and calmly towards them, “What an amazing shot this would be a bird of prey appearing to be talking to a goat.” He thought to himself.
Suddenly Emily dove from the sky and landed on the branch beside James.
“Hi Emily” Billy said lovingly, unfortunately she acted like he did not exist.
“Oh yes he back I love getting my picture taken!” She exclaimed with such flamboyance that James understood now why Billy found her captivating.
The man took a few steps forward, with more excitement he could capture. Two birds of prey together with a goat, never in his life had he seen such a site. Getting down on one knee the camera shutter could be heard. Emily started posing for the pictures wings up, wings down head turned to the left head turn to the right. She was a born model for her kind.
James started to fall in love with her now too. “Well hello there, my name is James”
“Oh hi, never noticed you there now do you mind getting out of my shot.” Herself absorbed ways captivated him even more.
“When you are done here would you like to join me in a meal a few fields over? I know the perfect spot to capture some ground squirrels.”
“Oh that sounds delightful, photo shoots always builds my appetite.” She states while doing a few more poses
Billy knew he had lost another chance of trying to get Emily to notice him and jumped off the rock. The man seemed to sense something was wrong and walked up to him. “Billy, what is the matter with you?”
Just as he approached them, James and Emily flew away to dine in a field nearby.
Kneeling down to stroke Billy’s head, a tube of sunscreen fell from the Friendly Giants pocket. Picking it up the man said, “Can’t lose this, I need it to prevent sunburn. Come on Billy let’s head home I will make your favorite cabbage stew.”
Billy and The Friendly Giant headed out of the field. “One thing I know for sure,” Billy thought, “at least I have his love”