French toast with strawberries and banana! What more could you ask for? This is a beautiful and tasty way to get some fruit in the morning while still indulging in a classic favourite.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup sliced banana
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In an 8-inch square dish, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Place 2 slices of bread in egg mixture and soak for 15 seconds per side.
- Warm a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and grease.
- Fry bread slices until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Adjust the heat as needed to ensure even browning. Repeat with remaining bread and egg mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss together strawberries, banana and maple syrup.
- Spoon strawberry mixture over 4 slices of cooked French toast and top each with another piece of French toast.
- Cut each sandwich into triangles and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Tip: Get creative with your french toast sandwich filling. Try some sliced apples, a fruit purée or a mixture of berries!
Recipe and image via Get Cracking
As always, if you have a favourite recipe that you would like to share, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org