Until recently, I’ve never been one to use marinades. Now they are one of my favourite ways to add flavour to a meal. Today’s recipe comes to us via A Farmgirl Dabbles, who has made a fabulous grilled shrimp recipe with a margarita marinade. These skewers are loaded with flavour and charred to perfection. This is one grilled shrimp recipe that promises to be the star of your summertime grilling!
- 1 lb. raw jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. minced jalapeno
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. tequila, optional
- thin slices of fresh lime, if placing shrimp on skewers
- chopped cilantro
- wedges of fresh lime, for squeezing over top of grilled shrimp
- Shrimp can be grilled with or without skewers. If using wood skewers, start soaking them in water.
- Place shrimp in a wide shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl with high sides, combine all ingredients from olive oil through black pepper. Use an immersion blender to completely process until there are no sizable pieces. Or use a food processor or blender. Pour marinade over shrimp and gently stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, folding gently about halfway through.
- Drizzle tequila over the shrimp, if desired, and gently fold to combine. If using skewers, thread shrimp onto skewers, with a folded slice of lime in between shrimp (see skewer photos in post).
- Heat grill to medium-high. Make sure grates are clean, and then oil them well. Set shrimp on grates and grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or just until shrimp are no longer opaque and have some nice char. Smaller shrimp will take less time. Place shrimp on a platter and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with fresh lime wedges to squeeze over the top.