These easy Strawberry Crumb Bars by Flavor Mosaic feature a buttery crust, sweet fresh strawberry filling, and crunchy butter crumb topping. They make wonderful dessert bars to take to a summer party, picnic, or potluck.
Makes 9 servings
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup very cold butter, (8 Tablespoons or 1 stick of butter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of the 8×8 pan that hangs over the side of the pan. (This is to make it easier to remove the Strawberry Crumb Bars after cooking.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup white sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. (VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the butter is very cold.) Work with the dough until the pieces are very small. Dough will be crumbly. You can also pulse in a food processor to until you get pea sized crumbs.
- In a separate measuring cup or small bowl, beat an egg with a fork. Add the egg and vanilla to the flour mixture, and combine until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Pat half of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the strawberries.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the bottom crust.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the strawberry filling layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly golden brown. (My oven runs hot and baked in about 38 minutes.)
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. I recommend refrigerating until ready to serve.