This easy Overnight Oats Recipe is a healthy and delicious breakfast made with gluten-free rolled oats, chia seeds, milk, yogurt, and a touch of vanilla. Learn how to make overnight oats and enjoy topped with fresh fruit and crunchy mix-ins!
Overnight oats are an alternative way of preparing oatmeal.
Rather than cooking raw oats on the stovetop or microwave with boiling water, here you combine rolled oats with cold milk, yogurt (optional), and chia seeds. A much more hands-off cooking technique, the oats, and the chia seeds absorb the liquid from the milk and yogurt as you sleep or go on with your day. Four to six hours later, you have ready-to-eat luscious oats that are creamy, chewy, and delicious.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup milk (dairy-free milk or cow’s milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Fruit (fresh or frozen)
- Nuts (slivered almonds, cashews, pistachios, pecans)
- Seeds (chia seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds)
- Dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, raisins)
- Sweetener (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar)
- Nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter)
- Spices (ground cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg)
- Transfer the oats to a large container – Transfer the rolled oats to a large mason jar or container with a secure lid.
- Mix the yogurt with the chia seeds – In a separate bowl stir together the yogurt with the chia seeds and mix well to combine. Adding the chia seeds to the yogurt (rather than the milk) prevents them from clumping together.
- Mix everything together – Add the milk, vanilla extract, and yogurt with chia seeds to the oats. Mix well.
- Refrigerate – Cover with an airtight lid and store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Serve – When ready to eat, you can dump the toppings directly into the jar or divide into bowls and add toppings.
Recipe and image via The Forked Spoon
As always, if you have a favourite recipe that you would like to share, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org