Located in the heart of the Left Bank, Luxembourg Gardens is a 60-acre park known for its extraordinary public amenities, including fountains, sculpture, ponds, flowerbeds, tennis courts, pony rides, a marionette theatre, playgrounds, food kiosks and open-air cafés.
The Gardens came about as a result of Henri IV’s assassination in 1610. His wife, Marie de Medici, could not continue living in the Louvre with his memory. She had the Palais du Luxembourg and the surrounding gardens built to replicate her childhood home, Florence’s Palazzo Pitti.
The Gardens were completed in 1625, but did not reach their present dimensions until 1790. The park has been open to the public since the 17th century. The construction of nearby streets and avenues during the Second Empire reduced its size, but not its general appearance.
Some of the Gardens’ more notable features include the Medici Fountain, erected in 1861, and a bronze replica of the Statue of Liberty.
As always, if there is a specific city or site that you want to have a virtual tour of, just let us know and we will do what we can to make it happen!